The Grand Boulevard Fire Company is the volunteer contingent of Fire and EMS Service in Niskayuna Fire District No. 1, located in the Town of Niskayuna.
The men and women of The Grand Boulevard Fire Company have the opportunity to work along with the members of the Career Division PFA at all emergency calls. Members also participate in many non-emergency events in and out of the district such as Fire Prevention Week activities, Niska-Day (annual community celebration and parade), EMS stand-by's at large events such as high school football games, and educational activities for for the public; either at the stations or in local schools.
For District One, it all began in 1920 when 15 volunteers got together to form an organization called the Grand Boulevard Fire Company, Inc. The original company offered fire protection to approximately 500 Niskayuna homes in the area bounded by Nott Street, Union Street, Balltown Road and the city line. It's equipment was a two wheeled hose cart stored in a garage on Regent Street. The ringing of a locomotive iron tie at the corner of Grand Boulevard and Regent Street, summoned the volunteers.
In 1930, the Fire Company received it's first motorized vehicle, a Studebaker touring car converted by General Electric technicians to carry hose. In the mid 1930's the need for larger quarters was recognized and the present station located on Balltown Road was constructed.
In 1940, The Grand Boulevard Fire Company answered 38 calls for emergency service from the District's 3,780 residents.
By 1990, the Fire District population reached 12,000 and the calls for emergency services reached 875.
In 2007, Niskayuna Fire District No.1 received over
1900 calls for service. Approximately 80% of those calls were for Emergency Medical Services. The remaining calls were a mix of fire alarms, auto accidents, and mutual aid responses
to neighboring communities. To handle this high call volume, Grand Boulevard Fire Company members
are trained to operate district apparatus and equipment. The district's apparatus includes three Advance Life Support ambulances, two
engines, one rescue-pumper, an aerial ladder truck, three chief's cars, two utility pickup trucks, and a Fire Prevention trailer. The
apparatus are housed in the two stations operated by the Fire District.